India is a wild, overwhelming mix of noise, sound and colour. You’ll certainly hate it when you first land in Delhi airport – the people, the pushing, the odd bit of paper you might have to give to the police after getting your bags, the shouting of taxi drivers trying to get your attention who then make up prices despite the “official” taxi rank showing fixed prices, the constant touting of hotels, guides, bags and everything else you could possibly think of.
A few days later you’ll begin to fall in love with India.
India is vast and totally different from region to region so rather than a massive single post, I’ve broken it down into sections and the routes that work.
Delhi – the capital. Mash up of cultures, castes and cash.
Manali – backpacking heaven and Indian honeymoon destination
Shimla – once the summer capital of the British India
Chandigarh – grid pattern streets and impressive Rock Garden (sculptures from recycled and industrial relics)
Amritsar – the Golden Temple, Sikhism’s holiest shrine and Wagah Border Ceremony
Jaipur – Royalty, the Pink City and the Amber Fort
Agra – the Taj Mahal (and the Agra Fort)
Varanasi – the River Ganges
BBC News - India BBC News - India
- Avabai Wadia: The lawyer who became India’s family planning pioneeron 05/07/2022 at 00:32
Avabai Wadia played a major role in India becoming the first country to officially promote family planning.
- Leena Manimekalai: Outrage over poster of smoking Hindu goddesson 04/07/2022 at 11:00
A poster for director Leena Manimekalai's new movie shows her dressed as a goddess, smoking a cigarette.
- Manipur landslide: 42 dead, 20 missing as rescue operations continueon 04/07/2022 at 07:08
Authorities in Manipur state say heavy rain and fresh landslides are hampering rescue efforts.
- Bihar: Their son vanished - then an imposter took over for 41 yearson 03/07/2022 at 23:17
An Indian man, pretending to be a missing son, deceived the boy's family for over four decades.
- Peter Brook: British stage directing great dies aged 97on 03/07/2022 at 14:09
His works, featuring theatre's most distinguished names, both enthralled and shocked audiences.
- Sarfaraz Khan: The 'wandering cricketer' on the road to stardomon 02/07/2022 at 23:50
Sarfaraz Khan's heavy scoring in domestic cricket has him knocking on the doors of Indian cricket.